Friday 28 September 2012

Update - What I'm Upto

Wow I think this is the longest time I’ve ever gone without updating my blog.  I think that’s a good sign; I tend to blog more when things are getting me down and I need somewhere to vent my frustrations.
I have been back at home now for over a month – 6 weeks in fact – and have been working as a shop assistant at a farm shop for 2 weeks.  I didn’t have too much trouble finding a job; I think because my return coincided with the end of the summer holidays and the students going back to uni and so everywhere was looking for replacement staff anyway.  It’s not a great job; I get minimum wage and it can be incredibly dull and repetitive some days but it’s at least good to be earning money again.  I don’t see myself working there much beyond Christmas anyway (*touch wood*).  Anxiety wise I have had ups and downs at this new job.  It’s customer service - have spent the majority of my time on the tills.  At the beginning it was pretty scary; my first day was a Saturday and it was packed in the shop; I was serving customers non-stop all day so I was sort of thrown in at the deep end, especially as I was still getting to grips with the till.  I’m generally okay serving customers now – I can smile and say hello and that comes to ... please, thankyou, goodbye etc.  But when customers try and make conversation with me I seem to dry up and can’t think of how to respond to them, especially if there are other people around.  I am having trouble talking to my colleagues though – granted I haven’t really had that much chance to get to know them anyway as I’m often left on my own on the tills while they’re on the shop floor.  Yesterday was a better day though – it wasn’t very busy so I had a chance to chat to one of the other girls there while we were sorting through stock together.  So work wise it could be better – then again it could also be a lot, lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment