Sunday 5 February 2012

Busy Busy Busy

So two weeks since my last blog post ... I've got a lot to report. It was my birthday last Friday (the 27th Jan) and I did go out in the end. Okay so I was basically celebrating someone else's birthday (it was my sister's boyfriends party) but it got me out the house and I'm glad I went. I even got a guy's number out of it :/ Then on the Saturday me and my sister went into London and saw Wicked which was amazing. So all in all it was probably the best birthday I've had in a while.

This weekend has been busy too. I went out to the cinema on Friday night with a guy from my support group and then to the pub afterwards. And on Sat and Sun afternoons I hosted my first ever meetups through an SA group on meetup.com! I arranged two coffee meets for 18 to 24 year olds, as I know a lot of people my age can be put off coming to groups because everyone seems so much older (I know that's how I felt anyway). Yesterday's was slightly awkward to be honest, there were a lot of silences but then I guess that was to be expected. I didn't feel like much of a host as I still leave a lot of the conversation up to other people - though I think a part of that is my natural introvert nature; I'm perfectly happy to sit back and listen in a conversation even when I'm not anxious. I tried a few tactics to keep the conversation going today such as commenting on the decor. It seemed to work.

I'm completely exhausted now. I just feel like curling up with a good book for a few days now and not talking to anyone. But I know if I do that I might lose momentum and I really don't want that to happen. I was slightly depressed at the beginning of this week because I hadn't left the house for a few days. But then I took action and forced myself out of the house for the support group on Thursday and felt a lot better for it afterwards. Just goes to show that the thing you feel the least like doing is probably the thing that is going to help you the most.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, we have the same birthday.

    Yeah, the meetup site for my area has a shyness/social anxiety event. I've joined the group, but I haven't gone to an event yet (reasons varied). I have wondered what the events are like...what would the dynamic of it be like - when it's nothing but shy people all in one room...who would actually get the ball rolling. Usually, under natural circumstances, the introvert finds him/herself among a bunch of extroverts...having a crowd of introverts together...wow.

    And I wondered/worried about the age spread too. I'm 41. And I wondered what it would be like to be among mostly twenty-somethings, and a few older outlier 50 and 60-year-olds.

    I hope you're in a lot better shape than I am by the time you reach 41! Haha. That would be an easy goal to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, happy belated birthday :)
    Yeah I was pretty skeptical abut SA meetups before I went to them, but there's usually always someone who takes the lead and keeps the conversation going (it's just never me!).
    And I wouldn't worry about the age thing; all the groups I've been to have had plenty of people in their 30s and 40s so you definitely won't be alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Just goes to show that the thing you feel the least like doing is probably the thing that is going to help you the most.' I would have to agree with you there, the more you hideaway, the harder it becomes to be part of the outside world. Even if at the time it feels more comfortable to kick back with the curtains drawn. Even if you know doing this is only delaying the inevitable. But it does feel liberating once you finally do venture out, and you sometimes think 'what was i worried about', just goes to show it's all psychological. The important thing is to try and strike the right balance; sometimes it's ok to take some time for you and regroup, other times it's more healthy for you to be taking in the world, mixing with different people, and opening yourself up to new experiences. Who knows how you might feel and what you could achieve :)

    ReplyDelete