Monday 23 January 2012

23rd Jan 2012

I met up with a couple of other SA sufferers yesterday for coffee in central London. I found a group on www.meetup.com that runs social events for people who are shy/have SA. This was just a small coffee meetup (3 people) for newcomers so it wasn't too threatening. I had a bit of nerves on the train there but nothing unmanageable - I even ended up staying for two and a half hours!
There was another youngster there who said he would like it if there was something aimed at just young people to which I agreed. I also can't afford to keep going into London so I've been thinking about setting something up more local to me. Anyway I've been made an event organiser for this group now so I can arrange a few things to meet those needs. I've never really organised anything before so I'm not sure how I'd react to being in that position of responsibility. Even if I'm meeting up with friends I tend to let them choose what they want to do because I don't want to choose anything that seems boring.

On a side note, I'd really recommend checking out meetup.com if you haven't already. It's a really great way of meeting people. You never know, there might be an SA support group or social group round the corner from you! Meeting other people with the same problem is honestly one of the best things I've done for myself. It's one thing connecting with people over the internet/forums/blogs but when you actually meet them face to face it really hits home that you're not the only one going through this.

2 comments:

  1. I sympathize with you Melanie, I completely understand the struggle you have to make new friends. Meeting people has always been a problem for me and whenever I have the opportunity, i am unable to make conversation. I want to be social and so I am using the tools http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-pho to give me ideas on how to overcome my fear of interacting with others. I definitely recommend taking a look and hope it helps you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That website is brilliant and am not sure how I haven't found it prior. I'm glad you were able to meet up with people that understand exactly what you're experiencing and hope that you can get some people closer to you to meet up. Good for you, for going out!

    ReplyDelete