Sunday 24 October 2010

Silly Little Things

Social anxiety makes me worry about the tiniest little things. Tiny insignificant things that most people wouldn't even give more than a second of thought to.

A few weeks ago I got an email from the secretary of the Physics department at my uni - I apparently needed to fill in a form to change my course as I wasn't registered on the right one. So I promptly printed out the form and filled it in. It took me two weeks to work up the courage to hand it in. Admittedly some of that was me being lazy and forgetful, but still.

I was worrying about what I should say when I gave it to her, I was worried she would have a go at me for not filling the form in correctly, I was worried she would try and make conversation with me and I wouldn't be able to think of anything to say to her.

Anyway I eventually handed it in on Friday - the whole process took, at most, 20 seconds. You'd think that after 20 years of working these tiny things up in my head to be so huge, I would have learned by now that things are never as bad as I imagine them to be. Apparently I've still got a way to go on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment