Monday 21 February 2011

Brief Encounter

I had an encounter with a girl from my old school today. She didn't recognize me which I'm taking as a good thing! but I still managed to humiliate myself in front of her. I was walking to the ladies and she was a few steps ahead of me. I only realised who she was when she held the door open for me, but I didn't say anything as she didn't seem to know who I was. Anyway she looked in the toilets and then turned around and left. As soon as she looked at me my immediate thought was "oh shit, please don't recognise me". While I was washing my hands she came in again and looked at me and asked me if there was someone in the end cubical, which there was, but I panicked and said no. Then a second later I corrected myself and mumbled that actually yes there was someone in there, dried my hands and left :s Okay it wasn't the most humiliating thing in the world but I was pretty embarrassed by it. This girl used to one of the 'cool' girls at school and I don't think I ever talked to her, other than maybe a few words. I realise I should have used the opportunity to strike up a conversation but I was so flustered I don't think I could have managed it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Melanie, I can so relate to this! I'm always terrified when I'm out that I'm going to run into someone I know and make an idiot of myself. And I don't want to talk to people either cause I have no idea what to say and how to explain my situation right now. I know in the scheme of things, that incident is not a big deal but I completely understand that in your head it feels like a much bigger deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing a former girlfriend of mine from way back when I was at high school. She was working in a DIY store & I couldn't think what to say so I hid behind the paints & walked back out of the shop. My head was spinning. I just avoid anyone I knew from school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New to your blog. It's always weird dealing with people from your past, stay strong!

    Best,
    Hua
    healthcentral.com

    ReplyDelete