Saturday 3 September 2011

Job Interview

I had a job interview today.

It did not go well.

It was for a shop assistant position in baby Gap, I just applied on a whim when I was in town last week with my sister and saw that they had a vacancy. I turned up and went over to the girl at the till and said that I had an interview, the girl then asked me my name and surprise surprise, I completely blocked. I was standing there for about a minute trying desperately to get my name out and looking like a complete fool mumbling apologies and trying to explain that I have a stammer. The manager came out after a while and I still couldn't get it out but she sussed out who I was from the fact that I was the last person she was interviewing today. She took me to the office in the back and then proceeded to ask me questions like "Tell me about a time you delivered good customer service." and "When was the last time you resolved a conflict in the workplace?" and other questions like that. I've never had a proper job before so I was at a total loss for what to say half the time, but I managed to mumble answers to most of the questions. I could tell I was making the interviewer nervous with my edginess; she made a few comments about me being nervous, which did not help :s I think I can safely say I did not get the job.

Still I'm not going to let this one bad experience stop me. I'm very proud of myself for even going today and if anything I'll be able to use it as a learning experience.

Right I'm off for a run now - am on week 2 of my C25K now. I'll be running marathons in no time :)

4 comments:

  1. Getting a first job is tough. I had someone made a comment about my quiet nature and it was like a slap in my face.

    My advice is when you get another job interview tell them upfront that you have never had a job before. Think about some of the questions the employer may had asked you that had nothing to do with job experience (since you have none) and be prepared to answer those kinds of questions in your next interview. If you are pursuing a job in customer service, out here in the States, the customer is always right and/or comes first.

    Affirmations will probably help. Just remind yourself to try and not stammer or be too nervous. It takes a lot of inner strength.

    Look at this as a learning experience and just correct your mistakes in the future. Dealing with people is a routine you learn. I have a job dealing with customers, so I hope some of this helps a little.

    Make sure you smile and constantly look at the employer when they are interviewing you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really messed up a job interview a few months ago and was hard on myself afterwards- telling myself nonsense that I wasted the interviewer's time, that I was a failure etc.

    Well it must be luck that I'm reading this today, because I actually just landed a better job yesterday after a really long and stressful job search. (thank you God!!)

    The way I see it now, I'm glad I didn't get that other job, this one is a better fit for me.

    Jenny's suggestions above are really spot on. I wish you the best of luck on your next interview. Be sure to let us know how it goes, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, thanks for the comment. I did actually tell the interviewer that I hadn't had a job before but she had this pack of questions that she had to ask every candidate, so I was sort of at a disadvantage anyway. Having said that I still could have been a lot more prepared and I definitely learnt my lesson - next time I'm going to rehearse like mad beforehand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jill. ooh well done for getting the job!! hope it works out for you :)
    I've managed to not be too hard on myself about the interview, it was my first one ever and it's a huge achievement for me that I even went and I figure I was never going to brilliantly in it anyway!

    ReplyDelete