Wednesday 7 September 2011

Running and Reading

I just got back from a run. I started week 3 of C25K today. I was convinced I wasn’t going to be able to do it as it sounded like a big jump from week 2 but I managed it. One thing I’m realising about running is that it’s as much of a mental workout as a physical one. It’s like Will Smith says; “The key to life is running and reading.” Once you learn to ignore that voice in your head telling you you’re tired and to give up you can do pretty much anything. I’ve even managed to push through the fear of being seen running in public; the last few times I went out I went in the rush hour along main roads jam-packed with traffic (where on earth did that phrase come from I wonder?). I still get nervous but I just concentrate on what I’m doing and so far no-one has pointed and laughed at me or honked their horn at me.

And the other key to life; reading. I’ve been reading a book called “How you can talk to anyone in every situation”. It’s got some pretty useful tips on how to keep conversations going and how to make yourself appear interesting (turns out you just have to ask people loads of questions about themselves). I’m meeting up with some friends (well ... “friends”) from my school days tonight, some of whom I haven’t seen for a couple of years. We were initially going to go out clubbing but now we’re going out to eat instead which is fine by me! So I’ve been taking notes from this book and I’ve written down a few questions to ask people in case my mind goes blank, which it undoubtedly will.

The more I think about it the more I agree with Will on those keys to life. Forget Plato, Aristotle and all that lot; in a thousand years time I bet scholars around the world will be studying the life philosophies of Will Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment