Tuesday 27 September 2011

Therapy Group # 1

So yesterday was a bit of a weird day. Soon after I woke up I started getting PMT symptoms (apologies if TMI :P ), (stomach ache, horrendous leg cramp, dizziness, light headed, chills, exhaustion, feeling like I was going to faint), all the usual stuff but just a hundred times worse than normal. I felt really sick as well and had to make myself throw up in the end :/ Then I went back to bed clutching a hot water bottle to my stomach and slept the whole afternoon. Luckily I felt better for my first therapy group in the evening...

I got there about 10 minutes early and rang the doorbell and the therapist (let’s call him P) opened the door and I walked in. There was this weird music playing and a couple of people standing around awkwardly in the kitchen area. After a while P ushered us all into the next room, but a few people had still to arrive so we were waiting for them. A few minutes later a girl I know from school (we’ll call her K – she was into the year below me and both our families actually went on a skiing holiday together years ago, our parents are still pretty good friends now) came in and sat down opposite me. I was a little surprised at seeing her there. I don’t quite know how I feel about it to be honest. It’s massively selfish of me to wish that she wasn’t there but I can’t help but wish it. But I do think it’s a bit strange that K’s mum didn’t mention that she was going to be there to mine... I’m sure it’ll all be fine, I was just a little thrown when I saw her there that’s all.

Anyway moving on ... the session itself was not what I expected. For the first hour and a half it was just P talking about how SA works and playing sections of the first tape of the Audio Therapy Series from the Social Anxiety Institute (The course is based on the one that they have over in Arizona). It wasn’t until the last 15 minutes or so that we all introduced ourselves – he gave us a few minutes to write down a quick introduction about ourselves and then we all went in turns at reading it out. I’m not quite sure of his reasoning behind making is wait until the very end to do that, but he is the expert.

So yeah apart from that, not a lot to say about it.

I was meant to be having my interview today but I still feel a bit groggy from yesterday and so because of that, coupled with the fact that I didn’t get the chance to prepare for it as I spent the day retching in toilets and huddled up in bed, I thought it best to ask for it to be rescheduled for Thursday. Which it has. 10am.

No comments:

Post a Comment