Monday 12 December 2011

Anxiety Free Shopping Trip

I went into town today to pick up some bits and bobs and I felt NO anxiety at all. Not one bit. Zilch. Nada. That’s a huge deal for me. A few months ago I was spending an age worrying about what I was going to wear and making sure I looked okay (even if I was popping out to get bread and soya milk), and then spending every second out of the house feeling like I was the centre of everyone’s attention . But today I didn’t even care, I just shoved on some clothes and left the house. Even when a shop assistant came up to me and asked me if I needed any help I asked him where an item was rather than just saying I was OK then looking for it myself, which I don’t think I have ever done before. I didn’t even think about it, I just did it. And supermarket anxiety seems to be a thing of the past (touch wood). I remember when I was at uni, I would get really panicky if I was food shopping by myself; my heart would race and I’d feel like everybody was staring at me and judging me. Not today though. I was a lot more relaxed and calm when paying as well, able to interact better with the people at the till. I think it’s something to do with working in a customer service job. When you’re serving hundreds of people a day, you start to realise that cashiers really couldn’t care less about you; all they’re thinking about is how long there is left until the end of their shift. At least that’s what I do :P

No comments:

Post a Comment