Friday 2 December 2011

Goal : To be Socially Confident

Just a little exercise from the book "Does Your Life Need a Laxative?" by Fred Broder


Identify your goal

To be SOCIALLY CONFIDENT and a GOOD CONVERSATIONALIST.

Why is this important to you?

I want nothing to stop me being who I want to be/doing what I want to do. I want to have good relationships/friendships and I want people to look up to me and admire me.

How badly do I really want it at this point in my life?

I’m sick of being scared all the time. It’s something I know will take time but I want to start working on it ASAP.

Evaluate how realistic/achievable this goal is at this point in time:

I don’t have a lot of other commitments right now and don’t have to worry about money/bills etc. so I’m in a good place to do something about it. I’ve made progress in the last few months so if I keep it up I reckon I could be “cured” of my SA within about a year.

Level with Yourself as to what sacrifices are required to achieve this goal.

I’ll need to sacrifice free time every day to go over my therapy handouts and do exercises.

I’ll need to sacrifice my PRIDE and learn not to care what others think of me if I mess up. I’ll have to put myself into uncomfortable situations and sacrifice my COMFORT and SAFETY.

Be honest with yourself as to your ability and willingness to pursue this goal.

I sometimes still feel like something is holding me back (most likely FEAR) but I am willing to do the work if I know I’ll get results. I’m already learning that there’s no gain without pain. I don’t want to live like this anymore and I know that this is the ONLY way I’m going to change, so I know this is something I have to do. I’ve proved that I’m more capable than I think in the last few months; who knows what I’ll achieve in the future.

Decision Time: Do it with all your heart, postpone it or drop it.

I am going to pursue my goal of being socially confident and a good conversationalist WITH ALL MY HEART. I am going to take every opportunity to stretch myself and push my comfort zone, because I know it’s the only way I’ll see results.

No comments:

Post a Comment