Wednesday 11 January 2012

Zumba Class

I went to a zumba class (a latin inspired dance/aerobics thing) tonight. There was a free taster session at a church hall really close to me so I thought I'd go along and see how it was. I was bloody nervous going in and standing around waiting for the session to start but once it got going I found I quite enjoyed it. I was a lot less self conscious than I used to be back when I went to salsa classes when I was 17/18 and did similar stuff (wiggling of the hips and arms in the air etc.), so I count that as progress. At times I even felt myself not caring at all what anyone thought of me and getting really into it.

Like I said though, I was very nervous when everyone was standing around waiting for it to start. I went on my own so I wasn't standing with anyone, but I noticed that there were quite a few people on their own as well so that helped a bit. I felt really quite light headed and not really connected to my body (does anyone else feel that sometimes? I can't really describe the feeling very well), almost like a slight out of body experience. It was very odd. But it went away once the session started.

I didn't really talk to anyone else there (there were about 60-70 people there by the way!). I made a point of smiling to a few people and said a few words to a couple of people at the end.

I'm very proud of myself for going and for not backing out :) At times I felt my myself coming up with excuses not to go like "I won't enjoy it" and "it's not my thing" but I just told myself that it was only one evening and if I didn't like it then I wouldn't have to go again. But turns out it was quite good fun - I might even go again next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment